Priyanka Gandhi on lynching incidents in India

In the wake of growing cases of mob lynching in the country, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has said such incidents make her blood boil. “It makes me furious, it makes my blood boil  when I see these things on TV and the Internet. It makes me furious. And I think it should make every right thinking Indian’s blood boil,” Priyanka told India Today when asked whether she was on the same page as her mother Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and President Pranab Mukherjee on the issue of lynching. She was speaking at the sidelines of an event of the launch of a commemorative publication by National Herald.
Addressing the same event, President Mukherjee said, “When mob frenzy becomes so high, irrational and uncontrollable, we have to pause and reflect. Are you vigilant enough. I am not talking of vigilantism. I am talking about whether we are vigilant enough proactively to save the basic tenets of our time.”
Meanwhile, Sonia Gandhi said the “inclusive conception” of the country was “under attack” and that the nation was facing a great challenge in the form “domestic misrule”.
Recently, thousands of people across the country took to the streets under the tagline “Not in My Name” to protest against a string of mob lynching incidents in the country. The lynching of 15-year-old Junaid Khan in a Mathura-bound train last week was the genesis of the latest flashpoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining the Biden Doctrine

George Soros at the Davos Forum