Palestinian-American to become the first Muslim woman elected to Congress

Muslim presence in the USA is very old since at least the days when millions of Muslims were brought to this land as forced slaves, robbed forever from their roots. Even the immigration of Muslims out of freewill to this land is at least a century old. Now after all these years, for the first time, a Muslim who is born of an immigrant family has a chance to be elected as the congresswoman.
Palestinian-American Rashida Tlaib, 42, won last week’s Democratic primary in Michigan’s 13th Congressional District, defeating five other candidates and is now poised to become the first Muslim woman in Congress. She will run in November unopposed as there is no Republican or third party candidate vying in the race.
In the early morning hours well after polls closed a tearful Tlaib told supporters her family living in a “small town in the West Bank” had watched her election victory, “they are literally glued to the TV, my grandmother, my aunts, my uncles in Palestine.”
“I want them to know, as I uplift the families of the 13th Congressional District, I uplift them every single day being who I am as a proud Palestinian-American who is Muslim,” she said standing next to her mother. 
To read the full story, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Soros at the Davos Forum

Defining the Biden Doctrine