Unrepentant Israeli killer boasts of repeating crime

Elor Azara claims only reason he did time for killing an incapacitated Palestinian assailant was miscarriage of justice, implies lies by the Israeli army top brass.
Elor Azaria, the Israeli soldier convicted of killing an incapacitated Palestinian assailant in Hebron in 2016, said he has no remorse and would do it again.
Speaking to Israeli newspaper Israel Hayom on Wednesday, the former army medic said "I have no doubt. Bring me back to those same seconds of the incident in Hebron – I would have done exactly the same thing. Because that is what needed to be done."
Azaria, who finished his nine-month incarceration in May, added that "I have no remorse. I am completely at peace with myself. I acted as needed. I went with my own [inner] truth. I acted in the most proper way possible and what happened afterwards [his trial and conviction] should not have happened."
Azaria had served as a medic with the Kfir Brigade's Shimshon Battalion and was alerted to the Hebron site after a fellow soldier in his brigade was stabbed by two Palestinians. One was shot and killed. Azaria was convicted of shooting Abdel Fattah al-Sharif on March 24, 2016 while the latter was prostrate on the ground. Sharif had stabbed a soldier and was shot six times and subdued before Azaria killed him. Eleven minutes had passed between the time the soldiers subdued Sharif and the moment Azaria shot him to death.
The military court sentenced Azaria to 18 months in prison, stating that Azaria did not shoot out of a sense of danger, but because he decided that "the terrorist deserved to die." The Court of Appeals rejected the appeal of his conviction and the severity of the sentence. The prosecution's appeal was also rejected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining the Biden Doctrine

George Soros at the Davos Forum