Myanmar: UN expert to carry out her final mission by visiting Bangladesh and Thailand

GENEVA (14 January 2020) - The Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, Yanghee Lee, will carry out her final mission from 15 to 23 January 2020.
Despite her last request to visit Myanmar being denied by the Government, Lee will visit Thailand and Bangladesh to speak to interlocutors and receive information about the situation in Myanmar from both sides of the border.
“Myanmar’s denial of access has not dissuaded me from doing everything I can to impartially report to the international community accurate first-hand information that has been provided to me during my visits to the region,” Lee said.
“My mission and the end of my tenure come at a critical time for human rights in Myanmar and I will continue to strive to do my utmost to improve the situation.”
Lee has held the mandate of Special Rapporteur since 2014 and enjoyed biannual visits to the country until she was denied entry from December 2017. She will report to the Human Rights Council session in March 2020.
Lee will hold a press conference at 15.00 on Thursday 23 January 2020 at Le Meridien Hotel, Dhaka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Soros at the Davos Forum

Defining the Biden Doctrine