Monday, August 17, 2026

Rohingya body rejects Myanmar repatriation claims

 The United Council of Rohingya, the elected representative body of Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, has strongly rejected Myanmar’s latest claims on repatriation, accusing the country’s military-backed government of attempting to ‘rewrite history’ and evade accountability for atrocities committed against the Rohingya.

In a press statement issued on Monday, the UCR described Myanmar’s August 15 foreign ministry statement as ‘misleading propaganda’ and rebutted it point by point, insisting that any repatriation must be voluntary, safe, dignified, and guaranteed by full citizenship and international protection.

The rebuttal came a day after Myanmar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it had verified 308,797 displaced persons in Bangladesh as former residents of Rakhine State and was prepared to receive them once the security situation became stable. The ministry also maintained that repatriation should proceed under bilateral agreements with Bangladesh.

At the centre of the UCR’s response is the question of identity. The organisation condemned Myanmar’s continued use of the term ‘Bengalis’, saying it was a deliberate attempt to erase the Rohingya’s ethnic identity and deny their historical presence in Rakhine State.

‘The term ‘Bengali’ is a weapon of erasure,’ the statement said, demanding international recognition of the Rohingya as an indigenous ethnic community of Myanmar.

The UCR also rejected Myanmar’s claim that the 2016–17 military operations were legitimate responses to attacks by the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army.

Instead, it argued that the military’s clearance operations constituted genocide and ethnic cleansing, citing widespread killings, rape, village burnings and forced displacement documented by international investigations. The group said blaming ARSA amounted to ‘an inversion of reality’ and insulted the memory of thousands of victims.

Myanmar’s foreign ministry stated that around 540,000 people fled to Bangladesh during the 2017 crisis and claimed more than 200,000 remained in Rakhine.

The UCR dismissed those figures, saying more than 700,000 Rohingya crossed into Bangladesh within weeks in 2017, joining earlier waves of refugees, and that over one million Rohingya are now displaced. It further alleged that those still in Rakhine live under severe restrictions without freedom of movement or basic rights.

The Rohingya body criticised Myanmar’s nationality verification process as discriminatory, alleging that refugees are required to identify themselves as ‘Bengalis’ in order to qualify for return.

It questioned Myanmar’s rejection of more than 113,000 names submitted by Bangladesh and opposed the designation of over 4,000 individuals as terrorists, arguing that such classifications could exclude entire families from repatriation. The UCR called for an independent verification mechanism led by the UNHCR.

Rejecting Myanmar’s position that the crisis should be resolved solely between Bangladesh and Myanmar, the UCR said the persecution of the Rohingya constitutes a matter of international law and justice.

The organisation urged the United Nations, the Security Council and the International Court of Justice to increase pressure on Myanmar, while expressing gratitude to Bangladesh for hosting nearly one million Rohingya refugees. It maintained that no return would be acceptable without guarantees of citizenship, safety, property restitution and direct UN supervision.

In its August 15 press statement, Myanmar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Bangladesh had submitted a list of 828,824 displaced persons for verification, of whom 308,797 had been confirmed as former residents of Rakhine State. The ministry said 113,507 names could not be verified and 4,241 individuals were identified as having alleged links to terrorist activities. It reiterated that verified returnees would be accepted when security conditions in Rakhine improve and insisted that repatriation remains a bilateral process between the two neighbouring countries.

CAIR to release 2026 Directory of Elected Muslim Officials

 On Wednesday, Aug. 19, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and CAIR Action will release the 2026 Directory of Elected Muslim Officials, providing a national snapshot of American Muslim representation in elected office and the judiciary across the United States. The 2026 directory identifies 228 American Muslim elected officials serving across 26 states, highlighting the growing role Muslim Americans play in public service at the local and state levels.

 

SEE KEY STATISTICS.

 

Among the directory's key findings:

 

228 American Muslim elected officials and judges are serving across 26 states.

 

43 percent — 98 officials — are women, while 57 percent — 130 officials — are men.

 

The directory includes 44 state officials, 4 US Congress members, 11 mayors and 87 city council members, 58 school board members, 17 elected judges and 7 officials serving in other offices

 

At the state legislative level, Muslim representation includes 30 state representatives and 14 state senators.

 

At the Federal level, there are currently 4 members of the US House of Representatives. 

 

New Jersey leads the nation with 46 Muslim officials, followed by Michigan with 38 and California with 20.

 

24 states have no identified Muslim representation yet in the directory.

 

In a statement, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said:

 

“Anti-Muslim extremists are attempting to tell American Muslims that we do not belong in the halls of power, these 228 public servants are proving otherwise every single day. Muslim Americans are not standing on the sidelines. We are serving our neighbors, strengthening our communities, and helping shape the future of our nation. We will not allow hate, intimidation, or political attacks to silence our voices or diminish our rightful place in American civic life.”

 

CAIR Action Executive Director Basim Elkarra said:

 

“This directory represents the growing political power and civic engagement of Muslim communities across America. Every Muslim serving on a school board, city council, state legislature, or in another public office opens the door wider for the next generation of Muslim leaders. But our work is far from finished. With 24 states still without Muslim representation identified in this directory, we must continue building political power from the ground up — registering voters, organizing our communities, holding elected officials accountable and encouraging more American Muslims to run for office. Our community deserves a voice at every table where decisions about our future are made.”

 

The directory is designed to serve as a resource for Muslim communities, journalists, researchers, civic organizations, policymakers, and others seeking to better understand the growing presence and impact of Muslim Americans in public service.

AMPAC calls upon Michigan Governor and State Officials to Act Against Hate

 The American Muslim Political Action Committee (AMPAC) calls upon Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, all state officials, and all candidates for public office to act swiftly and decisively in solidarity with the City of Dearborn and its residents, who continue to face hateful targeting—particularly against Muslim and Arab Americans.


A wave of hostility is expected to descend on Dearborn this Tuesday, August 18, 2026, led by far-right extremists and white supremacist groups seeking to provoke confrontation and disrupt the peace. Their intent is clear: to intimidate residents and tarnish Dearborn’s image. These individuals are well known, and their records speak for themselves.


These voices of hate cannot be ignored. AMPAC is deeply alarmed by the silence from Governor Whitmer and other state elected officials, which leaves Dearborn to confront this racism alone. Fighting hate cannot be selective, optional, or subject to double standards. When leaders speak forcefully against hate in some situations but remain silent in others, it sends a troubling message that some communities are less worthy of protection. Such inconsistency only emboldens those who seek to divide and intimidate.


Dearborn’s community, an essential part of Michigan’s broader fabric, has long supported and helped elect many of these officials. It is profoundly disappointing that this support has not been met with even a basic public affirmation during these sensitive times. A clear and unified message is needed: Hate is unacceptable, and any act of hate will be met with swift and unequivocal action.


AMPAC remains confident in the leadership of the City of Dearborn and its Police Department, working in coordination with local, state, and federal partners, to maintain safety and protect the community. These outside agitators do not represent our shared American values.


AMPAC joins all peace-loving people in urging the public to avoid any interaction with these groups. Avoidance is not a sign of weakness. It is a demonstration of strength. By refusing to engage, the community denies hatemongers the conflict and attention they seek, leaving them isolated and ineffective.


For more information, contact AMPAC at office@ampacmi.org or Dr. A. Ghanim at agdirectmailbox@gmail.com .

The Dead: The last act of death is not mortality but the erasure of memory by Chris Hedges

Death comes faster than we imagine. It robs us of all that is most precious. I carry these dead with me. I will carry them until I, too, depart. They remind me of my obligation to the living. They remind me, as the poets and sages tell us, that life is sacred, that love must always be honored, that our existence is brief, that human beings are fragile, that one day the memories we carry will vanish, that we are made from dust, and to dust we will return.

Live, the dead whisper, while you can.

 To read more, click here: The Dead - The Chris Hedges Report

Brazil: Lula, Bolsonaro return to strongholds to launch runs for president

 Brazil’s two main presidential candidates have inaugurated their campaigns by mustering supporters in their political strongholds ahead of what is expected to be a fierce October election.

To read more, click here: Brazil: Lula, Bolsonaro return to strongholds to launch runs for president | Elections News | Al Jazeera

Why Kushner met Hamas leaders, and what it means for Trump’s Gaza roadmap

 United States envoy Jared Kushner is set to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday for high-stakes talks in Tel Aviv, following intensive diplomatic sessions in Cairo, Egypt, aimed at advancing the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire roadmap.

Kushner, accompanied by Board of Peace Director-General Nickolay Mladenov and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, held an unprecedented meeting lasting more than two hours with a Hamas delegation. The Reuters news agency reported that Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya headed the team. 

The diplomatic push comes as Washington seeks to implement a 15-point roadmap for Gaza — approved by US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace.

Click here to read more: Why Kushner met Hamas leaders, and what it means for Trump’s Gaza roadmap | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera

Is the world experiencing more earthquakes now than before?

Al Jazeera examines a decade of earthquake data to see how 2026 compares and explains how and where earthquakes strike.

  To read more, click here: Is the world experiencing more earthquakes now than before? | Earthquakes News | Al Jazeera

Rohingya body rejects Myanmar repatriation claims

  The United Council of Rohingya, the elected representative body of Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, has strongly rejected Myanmar’s lates...