Malaysia’s
top diplomat has revealed he’s had contact with the Burmese shadow government,
the first ASEAN country to acknowledge such an interaction, as activists
lambasted the bloc on the anniversary of its failed five-point plan to restore
democracy in Myanmar.
Foreign
Minister Saifuddin Abdullah was responding Sunday to an open letter from a
Southeast Asian parliamentarians’ group to the leaders of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations. In it, they urged the bloc to “immediately and
publicly meet with the NUG” – Myanmar’s parallel, civilian National Unity
Government.
“I have
informally met [through virtual conference] the NUG Myanmar foreign minister
and the NUCC chairman before the last ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Retreat. Let’s
meet and discuss,” Saifuddin said via Twitter, referring to a ministerial
retreat that took place in a hybrid format in mid-February after being
postponed from an earlier scheduled date amid reports of differences among
member-states.
Myanmar’s
National Unity Consultative Council (NUCC) includes representatives of the NUG,
civil society groups, ethnic armed organizations, and civil disobedience
groups.
In the
tweet, Saifuddin tagged the ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR), the
group that sent the open letter on Sunday, the anniversary of the day when
Southeast Asian leaders and the Burmese junta chief, agreed during an emergency
summit to a so-called Five-Point Consensus for action on post-coup Myanmar.
Last
October, Malaysia’s outspoken foreign minister had said he would open talks
with the NUG if the Burmese junta kept stonewalling in cooperating with ASEAN’s
conflict resolution efforts.
RFA
contacted the foreign ministry of Cambodia, this year’s ASEAN chair, for
comment but did not immediately hear back.
Meanwhile,
Bo Hla Tint, the NUG’s special representative to ASEAN, questioned the
Southeast Asian bloc’s seriousness in solving the Myanmar crisis.
“They have
failed to implement, during the past year, the basic point of the ASEAN Common
Agreements – to end the violence. And then, they failed to comply with the
second point – systematic distribution of humanitarian aid,” he told RFA.
“I’d say the
ASEAN leadership does not take seriously the policy or framework set down by
the ASEAN leadership itself, if the leaders do not take any effective action
[against the junta].”
This aerial photo taken by a drone shows Bin village
in Mingin, a township in Myanmar’s Sagaing region, after villagers say it was
set ablaze by the Burmese military, Feb. 3, 2022. Credit: Reuters![]()
‘A five-point failure’
In Malaysia, two analysts praised Saifuddin
for breaking from ASEAN and initiating separate action.
“Malaysia takes lead on call to review
ASEAN’s approach to Myanmar (after a year of failed ASEAN five-point
consensus), acknowledging informal meetings with NUG Myanmar,” Bridget Welsh, a
political analyst with the University of Nottingham Malaysia, tweeted.
Another analyst, Aizat Khairi, a senior
lecturer at Universiti Kuala Lumpur, agreed.
“Malaysian Foreign Minister Saifuddin
Abdullah’s reaction to the APHR open letter is something refreshing,” he told
BenarNews.
The five-point agreement reached between
ASEAN’s leaders and Burmese military chief Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing on April
24 last year included an end to violence, the provision of humanitarian
assistance, an ASEAN envoy’s appointment, all-party dialogue, and mediation by
the envoy.
ASEAN has not succeeded in implementing any
of these points, said Joshua Kurlantzick, senior fellow for Southeast Asia at
the Council on Foreign Relations, a Washington think-tank.
“I think there is no doubt every part of
[the consensus] has failed, and with Cambodia as the chair and the junta
increasingly backed by China, there is no way the consensus will succeed, or
that ASEAN will do anything at all serious about Myanmar,” Kurlantzick told
BenarNews.
“Suspend Myanmar from ASEAN until a return
to democratic rule. ... But ASEAN won’t do that.”
He was referring to Beijing’s support for
Naypyidaw at international forums, including at the United Nations, since Min
Aung Hlaing toppled the elected National League for Democracy (NLD) government
on Feb. 1, 2021.
Under ASEAN’s long-standing policy that its
10 members take all decisions collectively through consensus, if one
member-state opposes a proposed move, it is shelved. And not every ASEAN member
is on board with stricter action against Myanmar other than barring junta
representatives from attending top ASEAN meetings, analysts have noted.
A “five-point failure” is what the Special
Advisory Council for Myanmar (SAC-M), a group of independent international
experts, calls ASEAN’s consensus.
“The junta has not held to a single point
of the five-point consensus. The agreement has failed and a change of course
from ASEAN is needed,” SAC-M member Marzuki Darusman said in a statement issued
Friday.
In fact, since joining the consensus, Min
Aung Hlaing has escalated the military’s attack on the people of Myanmar, and
continued to target and detain political opponents, SAC-M said. Nearly 1,800
people, mostly pro-democracy protesters, have been killed by Burmese security
forces, since the coup.
BenarNews is an RFA-affiliated online news
service.
No comments:
Post a Comment