Iman Mughira had spent months and up to $250,000 building a gym in Rafah with several partners before Israel destroyed it during the genocide. Displaced to al-Mawasi in southern Gaza’s Khan Younis, she tracked satellite images of her city until she was certain the gym was gone.
“When I realized it had been destroyed, I felt that my future had also been destroyed,” Mughira, 33, told Mondoweiss.
Mughira is one of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza who lost their livelihoods to what a UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) report has called the “most severe economic crisis on record” in Gaza, erasing 22 years of development progress in less than two years.” Cut off from what they built before the genocide, many displaced Palestinians in the Strip have improvised new trades and businesses from what has been left behind, trying to continue what they once built in entirely different forms.
Click here to read more: ‘I couldn’t watch my children cry from hunger’: Inside the ‘displacement economy’ Gazans built to survive the genocide – Mondoweiss
No comments:
Post a Comment