Tuesday, August 25, 2026

UN Chief urges global action on Rohingya crisis

 Nearly a decade since the horrific events of 2017, I call for renewed global attention & action to the plight of the Rohingya. 

Rohingya people in Myanmar, Bangladesh & across the region face deepening insecurity, shrinking protection space and diminishing prospects for durable solutions, exacerbated by funding cuts impacting life-saving assistance. I urge the international community to strengthen collective action to support an inclusive & comprehensive political solution that addresses the root causes of the protracted crisis in Myanmar.  Until conditions allow for voluntary, safe, dignified & sustainable returns of the Rohingya, I call for the international community to continue to provide humanitarian assistance, alongside livelihood opportunities & self-reliance support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

9 Years On. The Rohingya Genocide

  On this day, 25th August, 9 years ago, the most brutal genocide against the Rohingya people of Burma saw more than 1 million people flee ...